WORTH READING THIS FIRST… 1) On Practice: A Guide to Practicing for Jazz Musicians: There are no licks or transcriptions here, just practical guidance regarding structuring time effectively based upon an understanding the various improvisational the processes. See/click here ON PRACTICING v7
2) Practicing Tunes and Forms: How to memorise forms and generate harmony with detail. This method (informed by Lennie Tristano and Bill Evans) works with all standard songs, jazz repertoire and contemporary forms.
3) Chord-tone Improvisation and Enclosures for Improvisation: Practical steps in improvising with chord-tones.
4) Transcription: The rationale for transcription, dispelling a few myths and links to useful transcription resources – click here.
5) Garzone’s thing… triads, chromaticism and “randomnivity” – click here.
6) Linear Rhythm… manipulating the rhythmic aspect of line – click here.
7) Recommended Reading: Book-list of helpful publications for practice.
8) Videos, Broadcasts and Podcasts – Coltrane, Lester Young, a lesson with Joe Lovano, Marian McPartland’s Piano Jazz etc – click here.
9) Websites and Blogs – websites and blogs with high content re practice – click here.
For advice/consultation about practice including 1:1 lessons, SKYPE consultations etc, please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org